What's new

Working with Hinges

kritoke

It took me a while to figure out how to do it on my own, but still kind of looking for the better method to make hinges. Thinking more of an example of how to make a box and lid connect and create a hinge.

Maybe have a couple ways on how to approach it or variations on hinges. There are other videos for other cad apps on it, but it does seem to be a lot more manual in Alibre with how I approached it.

I’m approaching most of this in terms of one’s that are 3d printed.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps worth clarifying if the request here is about assembly constraints to allow the behaviour of a hinge to be simulated, OR is it about actually designing hinges (conventional pinned , or polymer 'living hinge' type).

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
It may be helpful to take a look at a supplier catalog of hinges, McMaster-Carr comes to mind. There are a myriad of hinge designs. What is the application? Piano or lift-off? Even or uneven leaf? What size pin and is it removable?

Do you have something in mind for a specific application?

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Not sure what type of hinges you're talking about, more info would help.
Work In Process
Here are some hinge models I'm working on for Unistrut related projects.
p1354aw---image-01.png

They're simple so I'm modeling them to have my own hinge models in Alibre. I model everything, needed for automation.

1708341511087.png

I included the part with configurations where both parts are being designed as well as the indiviual part models.

1708341671605.png1708341680867.png
1708341695066.png
I can explain my approach, feel free to pick the files apart. Pin sizing isn't captured in the design but is based on the thickness. I have not checked everything so it's possible a change might break something. Cut sketches will need to be updated when you change the thickness or anything affected. I'll fix that later.

Edit: I didn't notice this was a video request and not a general question. I would also like to learn how Alibre would model hinges.

Attachments

• HINGE-ASSEMBLY.AD_PKG
    298.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

kritoke

I did end up making a tissue/wipes box that I’m still working on, figured out the hinges looking at a fusion 360 tutorial. I also have considered trying to replicate a toggle/holder so it has a second hinge that is a flat cover part that stays closed but opens with a button that releases it. That part may be beyond me especially since the plan is to have it be 3d printable.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I did end up making a tissue/wipes box that I’m still working on, figured out the hinges looking at a fusion 360 tutorial. I also have considered trying to replicate a toggle/holder so it has a second hinge that is a flat cover part that stays closed but opens with a button that releases it. That part may be beyond me especially since the plan is to have it be 3d printable.
Any reference image or video?