What's new

how to draw gears

dlaery

Alibre Super User
i seen on here that HaroldL put up a video showing how to draw gears. where can i find that?

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Are you looking for accurate gears or "eye candy" gears?

Alibrescript has a few gear functions which seem to be reasonably accurate.

Utilities for Alibre by David Bolsover creates quite accurate gears (search for them here)

I have a script that builds an eye candy tooth. I create the gear blank and run the script to create a tooth which I then have to pattern. (maybe one day circular patterns will be added to scripting)

I work in a gear shop so all our gears are hobbed, not milled, so the model only needs to be accurate for the turning blank. The drawings look pretty good though.

1714516341347.png

dlaery

Alibre Super User
thanks I looked at those utilities and didn't think i knew how to use them but found a video on google that was very helpful and now for what I want it seems pretty easy . I do want gears that can be printed and used in a machine we are building.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
thanks I looked at those utilities and didn't think i knew how to use them but found a video on google that was very helpful and now for what I want it seems pretty easy . I do want gears that can be printed and used in a machine we are building.

I've 3d printed quite a few gears using David's gear utility. I created a kit of change gears for my lathe, to allow me to cut some weird and less common thread pitches. As infrequently as I use them, the plastic gears hold up surprisingly well.

His gear utility creates a correct involute profile, and they come out great if your printer is properly calibrated.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The other gear script variants are in this zip archive - they are fairly simple edits of the default one provided with Alibre.

Attachments

• Gear Generators (DP and Module).zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 4

dlaery

Alibre Super User
where would i install these scripts?

Here?
\\MAIN\Users\Hook\Documents\Alibre Script Library\Examples\Mechanical

Last edited: