What's new

Post Processors for Atom3D or Should I Update to the CNC Versioning?

silver2row

My controller is unheard of... It is some grbl controller from Monoprice (I think). I know it is from Monoprice but it is only three axes and I make my own Spoilboard.

I have not seen the training videos. I keep reading their website blogs and ideas for their product.

Seth

P.S. I have an i7 with many processors and threads. I am getting stuck on toolpaths for roughing for now. I will keep it up. I will also watch those videos you listed.

silver2row

This is the motherboard. Some CNC controller with GRBL power. "MakerBase DLC32"? Anyway, this is for testing purposes. Nothing too inventive for now.

Seth

P.S. I use Candle for relaying gcode to the controller for use. Before building something nice, I want to make sure I understand. I found the videos you listed. Thank you.

Controller_Board_CNC.png

silver2row

I just typed the toolpath as 3018 and done. Now, after waiting about 45 minutes, I finally can install the gcode but the gcode is taking a long time to save also.

Seth

P.S. I would think with all the physical processors and threads, this i7 would be something to boast about currently. Not so much. My computer is slow... I will keep trying to find a way to speed up the process.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
If controller is GRBL based, use the GRBL posts for MeshCAM - check documentation for your controller as to what file extension it expects for the g-code file.

As a newcomer to CNC I suggest start with simple operations - don't try to do everything in one go in your first project. build up slowly.

silver2row

Okay and No Issue,

I will use the grbl post processer for the controller. I will research the file extensions needing to be used too.

And you are right, that is exactly what I just did do. I tried to do everything all at once without knowing the ins and outs.

Seth

P.S. @DavidJ : The problem I came across was odd. It shutdown almost totally. The computer seemed to almost give out. This was the computer that was supposed to read the .nc file and port it to the host software for telling the controller how to perform and when to do so...

Anyway, I will keep reading more in this field. Thank you again...

silver2row

If controller is GRBL based, use the GRBL posts for MeshCAM - check documentation for your controller as to what file extension it expects for the g-code file.

As a newcomer to CNC I suggest start with simple operations - don't try to do everything in one go in your first project. build up slowly.
@DavidJ ,

I got the host software to accept my MeshCAM .nc file from the Alibre Atom3D .stl file. I did some cheesy circle and wording around the circle. You guys put in some work for the amount of fonts.

I am thankful. I think the other file I was trying to install to the host computer was too large for the "Candle" source I am using at the moment for this tiny CNC built.

Seth

P.S. Anyway, I will keep searching around. I did notice a square in the center of my text instead of a circle extrusion on the MeshCAM source. So, this is what that means...

1. I made a circle in Alibre.
2. I added letters around the circle.
3. I saved the file and exported it as a .stl file.
4. I imported the .stl file into MeshCAM.
5. The file showed an extruded square instead of an extruded circle like the .stl file from Alibre.

Odd days. Anyway, thank you guys/gals for helping out. I am almost certain for now that the beforehand file was just too large for the "Candle" source to understand. Probably too many lines.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
If circle is showing as square in the exported STL - you need to review the STL output settings.

Try starting with the values shown at

MeshCAM can also accept STEP input which shouldn't suffer the same problem.

silver2row

Hmm. Okay...My version only accepts .stl format for some reason. I have PRO, too. I will look into it again.

Seth

P.S. When exporting, what is the difference between binary and ascii and which of the two should I choose?

silver2row

Also sir,

All of my options are not clickable when exporting for some reason. I looked over the link. I am guessing there is something wrong with my set up. I will read more into it.

Seth